History

1862 Landsborough - Miners fossicking in the Landsborough Valley, discovered gold in 1853 at the Malakoff and finally established the Landsborough Lead and the town of Landsborough in 1862.

The name comes from Captain William Landsborough who led an expedition in search of Burke and Wills. The school is in McKinlay Street at the end of town next to the Catholic Church. This street was known as Camp Street in the goldfield years. Landsborough opened with John Cardiff as head teacher.

The first school was a large wooden building with a gallery at one end, divided, when there were 4 teachers, by curtains. Two hexagonal pavilions were built in the garden, one for girls, the segregation being very strictly enforced. Part of the original building was removed in the 1930s when attendance fell to 40-50. In 1963 one additional modern classroom was erected.

Water was connected to the school in 1968; a dam had been used in the early years, and later tanks. Electricity was connected to the school in 1964. The Mothers’ Club was formed over 50 years ago under H. T. Isaac. A residence was erected in 1909 for 480 pounds. In 1924, a school plantation was planted behind the Presbyterian Manse. The Honour Roll for the First World War contains 73 names and the Roll for the Second World War contains 57 names. When mining ceased in the area the numbers attending school decreased, and in 1970 stood at 25, most of the children coming from sheep and cropping farms.(Pyrenees Advocate Friday March 4, 2004)